Designer Spotlight: Ashobi Designs

Adama Kai owner of Sierra Leone's Aschobi Designs is a Sierra Leone native that grew up in the States. She attended Parsons School of Design in college and her goal is to " change the view of Sierra Leone from Blood Diamond to Coutoure". She showcased her Fall 2009 collection at the 11th Annual Harvard Africa Business Conference in Boston, Massachusetts. Her line according to her is a "throwback back to the romantic notions of being a lady. Red, opulent lace, with Van Gogh, impressionist prints, in clean feminine silhouettes, that satisfy the "lady" in all women ". The designer's inspiration for the line: A play on Fela's Kuti song "She go say I be Lady" and Dr. Doolittle's "My Fair Lady".
I love the lush vibrant colors and the beautiful use of lace and ankara fabric and especially the beautiful embroidery. These dresses whisper creative elegance and seem like they could easily transition with you; from a formal gala, to the beach for a picnic afterwards, which to me means "the perfect dress". and I can't wait to see more from this designer. Let me know what you think!











The Designer: Adama Kai


Images and quotes are courtesy of Ladybrille.

7 comments:

londynkouture said...

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful

Those are awesome! I have an award for you on my blog too and the picture resize didn't even change my pics maybe because Im not on my own computer.

LK

Isabella said...

The green outtfit is soo hot!! men I need this in my life oo

Unknown said...

How absolutely beautiful! Yay Sierra Leone! I too am from a country that's often misleadingly portrayed in Western media, so it's thrilling to see someone from a similar situation working to change the image of their culture.

And I'm mesmerized by that green dress (2nd from top) ... waaaant!

Uchenna said...

I like the last dress she's wearing.

Kayleigh said...

Gorgeous -- that green one is my favorite, too, absolutely beautiful!

Yankeenaijababe said...

I love the red dress...lovely lovely. hope u doing great.

Tigeress said...

omd, the green outfit is HAWT!!!