Mail Call

A few days ago, i got this email from "Liz" with this question:

I just had to finally comment on your blog! I loove the way you put clothes together! In fact, that's one of the things I love the most about the Nigerians I know, they KNOW how to put clothes together! I love seeing interesting pieces put together especially with contrasting colors, but I'm always afraid to do it myself. I also love that all your pieces aren't super duper expensive. You obviously have a great thrift store to shop in, because you're able to find great pieces. I seem to get a little overwhelmed in thrift stores when I want an interesting piece (dress or shirt) and end up not getting anything other than boring solid colored basics. In general, i'd love to overhaul my entire wardrobe and make it as interesting as it could be in my mind.

Do you have any advice for a person who wants to be more adventurous with their wardrobe but has no idea where to begin?

-Liz


Hi Liz,
* First and foremost, you have to figure out what you like, whether its vibrant florals, bright colors, sequins, funky dresses, polka dots, short skirts, mini dresses, long skirts, ladylike styles etc, whatever it may be, so that you know what to look for when you shop. Do keep in mind though, everything is not for everybody. You should always pick things that flatter your body and accentuate your favorite parts.

* Be open to trying new things and pick up something interesting. Getting dressed should be fun, an expression of you; which is why spicing up your style would be more fun if you try different looks and different styles. While shopping, do keep in mind, that it’s ok to stray from the usual basic black or brown and go with something more eye-catching like sea foam green or pink or even polka dots or whatever it is that you want to try, because you may never know what works and what doesn’t if you don’t try it first.

* Now you have a game plan. Now what? Well, I’d suggest you add the jazziness, slowly till you get comfortable. Start with accessories…colorful shoes and tights, fun scarves, and statement jewelry like necklaces and bangles and cocktail rings…these are ways you can pepper items of interest to the seemingly basic outfits you already have.
* After you get more comfortable, or more daring, you can throw in bigger items of your choice into the mix. I think at this point, you may now have an idea of what you like, and what flatters you.. that knowledge is essential.. But, instead of completely overhauling your wardrobe, I say only, start one item at a time. Add a sequined blouse here, and a boldly colored dress there as you see fitting. During the shopping process, you have to remain true to yourself. Are you really going to wear that sequined blouse? Where to? I like to think of at least one place that I’ll wear the item to, as well as 2 items I already own that it’ll go with, BEFORE I purchase it. No sense in wasting money on items to decorate your closet floor.
I hope that helped

~Diane

*If you have any questions about personal style and would like some advice, feel free to e-mail me and I’ll try to help you out!

3 comments:

NaijaScorpio said...

Hola, was going to email u. I see u get some pretty good stuff from thrift stores. I'm going to be in Atlanta for 2 weeks, could u email me some thrift stores to check out. Thanks.
chacha4mi@hotmail.com

FREE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS said...

im pretty much new in this but.. i cant help but comment on your blog..you make dressing up so much easy!although we both know know it is not that easy...except well you are gifted!it shows, really..nice meeting you..
Thank you..
http/askchacha4free@blogspot.com

FASCHE said...

As part of a game, ur tagged on my blog...keep playing!