A Modern take on tradition

Welcome to another post of Native Sunday, where i your host, lady will showcase a native Nigerian piece of clothing. Today, the piece being showcased is the skirt. It is actually a "wrapper" , which is a piece of cloth that is wrapped around the body and secured on the side. It can be worn at desired length, depending on how one chooses to wear it. Click here for a picture of the wrapper worn at a longer length.
So that my western readers will have a better understanding, look at it like this: The "wrapper" is a bit similar to a sarong, except while most sarongs are thin and flimsy(at least the ones i've seen), wrappers are usually much thicker and sturdier.
For this outfit, my wrapper was tied at the side, and then belted, giving it a modern take on a traditional piece.
This is what i wore:
Hat (H&M)
Shirt (Target)
Skirt -wrapper worn and belted(custom made)
Thriple Buckle Belt (Dots)
Coat (F21)
Zebra brooch (vintage)
Tights (target)
Ankle Boots (gojane)







Photocredits go to my bro Little one, and my sis Lachmeister!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look so chic! I love all of the black with the awesome pattern on the wrapper. That belt is also severely awesome - I love how wide it is!

90-Dayer said...

Oh, wow. That skirt is so pretty. The colors are great! I would love to see at at the full length as well, I'm sure it's gorgeous!

Kayleigh said...

I soooo agree...love the skirt (wrapper) and the belt...and the combo of it with the black -- truly an awesome outfit :D

Sheila said...

That's just beautiful! What a gorgeous pattern. I love that you incorporate your native clothing into your daily wear...and you do it very creatively.

The belt is killer.

Jules said...

the fabric of your wrapper is gorgeous

*Diane* said...

Kimberly: Thank you!! I love it too.

April: Thank you! I will put up pics of the long version soon.


Kayleigh: Thank you madame!! I try to staay away from too much black, but its so easy to wear...

Sheila: Aww, thanks!

Jules: Thank you! and thanks for stopping by and commenting!

C said...

i luv dis so muchh

Unknown said...

This is just too beautiful! It's inspired me to get a skirt made with Sri Lankan fabric, probably batik because we have a lot of batik printing there. Thanks for posting!