A Family Affair

My mother's birthday was on Sunday, so i spent a majority of my weekend planning with my sisters and my dad. I love to plan things and watch things unfold and come together as planned so i had a great time. I 'm usually the one planning family vacations, trips and date nights for me and the Manfriend.
On the big day, we actually had our family portrait redone (because i oppose contacts) then headed home to cut the cake and have dinner (and dancing). It was fantastic, we had a family photoshoot, then food and then dancing...it was a near perfect day.

here's what i wore for the day. We started with a casual clothes..everyone got to choose casual clothes that reflect their personalities... i'm in love w/ blazers right now, so of course i wore one. I'd planned on saving this blazer for the spring, but i couldn't resist wearing it for the photos.

This outfit:
Blazer (Express)
Black Top (F21)
Jeans ( Express)
Shoes (Bakers)
Blue Flower Headband (Beauty Supply Store)


Then we changed to our native attires. These were custome made for us, we chose the colors. And thankfully the seamstress understood that i walk fast, so my skirt blossoms from the knees downwards to allow plenty of leg room and big movement.

I'm posting my sister's outfits as well. Lachmeister is on the left, and Nimsta is on the right. These are all nicknames as i'm posting these pics w/out their permission...or with their staunch objection. But as the oldest child, sometimes my say gets to override theirs. Its basically the same style, a shirt and a long skirt, but w/ differentiating details; ruffles and ropes and different cuts for the top.


Photo credits go to my sisters for my photos and i took the pics of them.
By the way, they gave me permission to put up their pics :-)

17 comments:

Shen Dove said...

Beautiful dresses!

Anonymous said...

You guy looks fanastic! I absolutely love the satin gowns. You picked out some incredible fabric, I would have went straight for textiles myself. So cool to have a custom made gown!

Tabitha said...

That's so awesome that you guys do casual and formal pics. I love both outfits and ESP love the headband.

90-Dayer said...

Beautiful. That blue looks so great on you!

90-Dayer said...

Beautiful. That blue looks great on you!

Anonymous said...

i absolutely love both outfits; the more professional one is so chic. & those dresses are divine!

thank you for leaving such a sweet comment :) it brightened my day!

xoxo,
La C.

Chomy said...

eh ya!! lovely traditional!

yiqin; said...

You girls look great! Love the blazer too <3

ShonaVixen said...

I love your blue traditional outfit...actually all of them!!!Loves it as always

The Cocoa Goddess said...

Your native outfits (all three) are gorgeous - very elegant but with a hint of sexiness, not unlike the Chinese cheong-sam. Beautiful!

Sheila said...

I love those dresses! You all look absolutely lovely in them (and I can see the family resemblance!).

Love the white? cream? suit jacket! Why wait for spring? Wear it now!

Erica said...

All of you look beautiful! I love the headband, as well!

Kayleigh said...

Wow, you and your sisters are breathtaking! Those gowns are gorgeous and each of you looks stunning in them :) What a lovely time it sounds like your family had -- you are very blessed to all be so close, I'm happy for you all :D

Cathryn said...

Those dresses are gorgeous. I like how you used the headband, earrings etc. from the casual outfit to accessorize your native attire as well.

Unknown said...

All the outfits are awesome! I love the long cream jacket, and the African dresses are beyond gorgeous. :o) Do you wear dresses like this to weddings and other such functions too?

*Diane* said...

Thank you every one! sorry i'm so late in responding!

Anchibride: Indeed we do! Nigerians love to dress up, so any and every opportunity we get to wear our native clothing, we usually jump on it.

Anonymous said...

Love your clutch in the top pics. Where did ya het it? TIA