Sunday- African Clothing

Maybe i'll make every other Sunday, "Native Day", which will be the days i wear my native attire or incorporate my native dress into my outfit. i wore this lovely number to church, as you can see, i love color. This attire actually belonged to my lovely mama, and she passed it down to her firstborn, me. In the part of Nigeria where i hail from, the clothes that mothers wear when they're younger, are passed down thru many generations(doesn't not have to be the firstborn), depending on how well the children keep the attire.
This outfit is called a Buba ( not to be confused w/ a bubu, which is what i wore the last time i dressed natively).I know they sound a bit alike, but the attires are named for the style of the outfit. The bubu, is a flowy dress, while the buba is made up of a top and a bottom. The bottom piece is called a wrapper(i'll show more pics to break it down). But here it is...feel free to ask for any clarifications..
Native Attire (Custom Made)
Sandals(DSW)
Clutch (Target)


Photocredits go to my sis Lachmeister!

3 comments:

90-Dayer said...

Very pretty! I love the purple and green combo!

Unknown said...

How gorgeous! One of my bridesmaids is from London, and even though she's Sri Lankan she attends a Christian church there where most of the congregation is composed of African nationals. She showed me the photos from one of their services, and I was just drooling over all the gorgeous national outfits the ladies were wearing!

Her BF is also African, so I'm hoping that if they get married she'll get to wear one of those dresses!

Yankeenaijababe said...

Ankara madam.lol

I love the style here, very simple yet classy.